psalm 138


Psalm 138


I give you thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart;

before the gods I sing your praise;

I bow down toward your holy temple

and give thanks to your name

for your steadfast love and your faithfulness,

for you have exalted above all things

your name and your word.

On the day I called, you answered me;

my strength of soul you increased.

All the kings of the earth shall give you thanks, O Lord,

for they have heard the words of your mouth,

and they shall sing ofthe ways of the Lord,

for great is the glory of the Lord.

For though the Lord is high, he regards the lowly,

but the haughty he knows from afar.

Though I walk in the midst of trouble,

you preserve my life;

you stretch out your hand against the wrath of my enemies,

and your right hand delivers me.

The Lord will fulfill his purpose for me;

your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever.

Do not forsake the work of your hands.

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Crossing the Border

            My time in the Bush was up at the end of January. It was time for me to take a shuttle (basically a big van) from Arusha, Tanzania, back to Nairobi, Kenya. This five-hour journey is a slightly nerve-racking experience—especially when you do it alone. Thankfully I’d made the same trip before on my way into Tanzania and I hadn’t been alone then. So I knew a little of what I’d have to do at the border, but I was still a bit nervous.
            At the border, the shuttle stopped and everyone got off. We all went through one line, crossed the “no man’s land,” and went through another line. The goal is to get through it all as quickly as possible so the shuttle driver doesn’t leave you behind. He wants to keep on schedule, you see.
            Thank the Lord, I got across the border and the bus in plenty of time. Plenty of time for the Maasai people to offer me all sorts of good things through the open van door. One man even offered to trade me his carved giraffe for my watch. I really appreciate my watch, so even though it was a tempting offer, I had to decline.
            As our bus was starting up, I realized that the man who’d been sitting next to me was not back yet. His bag and coat were still there, but he was missing. I was right behind the driver. I tapped him on the shoulder and said, “Are we leaving right now? He’s not back yet!” I pointed to the seat beside me. The driver said, “I know. We cannot wait much longer. We will stop at the rest stop soon for ten minutes.” I knew he was talking about the rest stop that was just beyond the border. They always stop there because they charge you to use the restrooms at the border.
            By this time I was freaking out a bit. This poor man was going to be left behind! How would he ever find us again? How would he get his stuff back? How would he continue his journey? Oh, it was all so unreal! Was this really happening?! What was I going to do? I had to do something! I was terrified for the man!
            When we stopped at the rest stop, I had meager hope that the man would know where to find us, let alone have a way to get to us in time. I contemplated what I should do. I considered I would have to talk to the bus driver and get him to go back and look for the poor guy. I even thought I would threaten to tell his superiors that he left someone behind if he refused to go back! The courage was beginning to well up within me as I prayed that God would help me and the man would be taken care of. BUT, miracle of miracles, the man showed up on the back of a picki picki (motorcycle) at the last minute! Thank God! He had arrived in the knick of time! He had been detained at the border, for whatever reason. I was just impressed that he knew where to find us and he got to us in time! And I didn’t have to threaten the driver! The tension left me completely and the rest of the journey to Nairobi was quite peaceful and uneventful. Thank you, Lord!

                             (Mountain through the shuttle window)

No comments:

Post a Comment